Tuesday 30 October 2012

There She Croaks

Hey y'all, Carm here!

I have been home-ridden for the last few days.  Yup, it's flu season in North America, and we have been getting some very strange weather in Toronto.  As most of you are probably aware, we had some left over winds come in last night from "Sandy".

As a result of the weather change, I have contracted a nice little flu. Good for me right? For sure! But this blog entry is going to focus on the life of the vocalist when sick.  I just want to share some tips from the one and only, ME!

Ok so you are feeling a bit stuffed up are we? Here are some tips:

- Hey! Don't sing or speak if you don't have to! Yeah, it's a bit difficult, I know, because personally, I can't shut up for a second.
- Make sure you are drinking a LOT of liquids, not just the hot stuff like tea, because caffeinated beverages like tea and coffee, though good for you in most cases, can dry up your vocal cords even more.
- Protect your throat, this is your baby, your instrument.  This is a good time to bust out your winter scarfs and rock them hard.
- Nasal spray is your friend.  Help clear up your sinuses if they are bothering you by increasing your sprays to twice a day instead of once (so once in the morning, and once before you go to sleep).
- Do you have a humidifier? You know, one of those things that makes steam? Well lock yourself in your room or a small space for a few hours and soak in the moisture.
- Don't smoke! If you are a singer, you shouldn't smoke regardless! Unless the raspy voice is what you are a going for.
- Natural foods such as honey, ginger, and lemon are your best friend. (Thank you Seth from the Tricky Ones for reminding me of this one!)

These tips aren't a "all in all" cure for you, but they will help you refrain from further damaging your vocal cords during your sickness. You need to let all the liquids that are blocking your breathing/nasal system clear out because trying to hit those notes during this time will cause a LOT of strain.

So, that is where I am right now.  Trying not to strain the cords. It kind of sucks being sick. I had to cancel band practice, and well, spend more time cooped up at home.

You know you  heart your band when you miss them when you have to miss band practice! <3

And well, as my latest entry says, I have a lot to learn, especially with my newly acquired bass!

So okay, I took today off, but tomorrow, regardless of my state of being, I need to get back to work.  I can't sing right now, so I'll pick up the bass.  At least I can learn those parts better so I can start training myself to sing and play bass when I am better.

I'm excited for the challenge, so this damn cold needs to take a hike!

'Til next time!



No comments:

Post a Comment